BSOE offers graduate students a broad range of financial assistance options that help with tuition and living expenses while they complete their advanced degrees.  Graduate students may receive financial support through academic student employment (teaching assitantship, graduate student instructors, and graduate student researchers), fellowships, training grants, and/or traditional financial aid.

  • Although departments do not guarantee financial assistance to each incoming student as part of the admission process, more than 95% of our doctoral students receive some form of financial support throughout their graduate career.
  • MS students are typically self-supported and should assume they will not receive any form of financial support from the department.

Please review the following for detailed information regarding types of funding as well as tax info.


A GSI is a full-time registered UCSC graduate student that has been appointed to have primary and full responsibility for the teaching of a course under the supervision of a ladder-rank faculty member. GSIs in BSOE are hired under the Associate In title. Minimum qualifications for this position require the possession of a master’s degree or equivalent training and at least one year of teaching experience. All GSI appointments require the review and approval of the Graduate Dean.

BSOE GSIs qualify for full fee and tuition remission if they are appointed for at least 25% time (10 hours per week). Full fee and tuition remission includes the payment of fees and health insurance for all eligible students. Non-resident tuition is not covered.

Graduate Division Associate In Policy >>


A GSR is a full-time registered UCSC graduate student appointed to assist in performing research under the direction of a ladder-rank faculty member or authorized Principal Investigator. GSRs are hired on a quarterly basis. The general and individual quarterly GSR calls are sent by the BSOE Payroll Analysts, approximately 8 weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Responses to hire GSRs are due from faculty approximately 4 weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Once funding has been approved for a GSR hire, the student will be contacted by BSOE Payroll to complete paperwork.

GSRs qualify for full fee and tuition remission if they are appointed for at least 25% (10 hours per week), in all GSR appointments combined, over the three months of the quarter. Full fee and tuition remission includes the payment of fees, health insurance for all eligible students, and nonresident tuition if applicable.

Graduate Division GSR Policy >>
BSOE Payroll GSR Policy>>


A TA is a registered graduate student in full-time residence, chosen for excellent scholarship and for promise as a teacher, and serving an apprenticeship under the active tutelage and supervision of a regular faculty member. TAs are hired on a quarterly basis beginning approximately 10 weeks prior to the start of the quarter. 

TAs who work 10 hours per week or more are also eligible for remissions on their in-state fees. The breakdown for fees can be found here on the Registrar's website. After fee remissions, (this includes health insurance), students employed as Teaching Assistants are only required to pay the campus fees, which is less than $500 per quarter. Departments will cover this amount as a courtesy if funds are available. TA fee remissions do not cover out-of-state Non-Resident Tuition.

BSOE TA Application & Information >>
Graduate Division TA Policy >>
BSOE Payroll TA Policy >>


Readers/Graders grade student work including homework, papers, laboratory reports, and exams; attend lecture or labs; meet with supervisor (instructor).  Readers cannot tutor or lead classroom activities.

Tutors (Individual and Group) are available at established times for tutorial sessions; attend lectures or labs; meet with supervisor (instructor).  Tutoring sessions may involve assisting students with: understanding course concepts; developing study strategies and methods for independent work; developing writing and critical thinking skills through reviewing; commenting on and discussing student work including homework and papers; preparing for exams.  Tutors should not be assigned or be expected to perform, nor should perform, the duties of a Teaching Assistant.

Readers and Tutors are hired on a quarterly basis.  The quarterly call to hire readers and tutors is sent by the BSOE Payroll Analyst to instructors, approximately 4 weeks prior to the start of the quarter.  In this role BSOE graduate students are limited to 109 hours per quarter.

BSOE Reader/Tutor/Grader Policy >>


The BSOE Academic Payroll Unit acts as an informational resource to academic employees and students.  They also manage several aspects of personnel and payroll administration including: Payroll entry for academic appointment activity, time sheet auditing, and facilitation of quarterly academic student hiring (readers, tutors, graduate student researchers). Students that are hired under any of the academic employment titles on this page will meet with BSOE Academic Payroll to complete hiring paperwork.

For more information on CruzPay (online time reporting), paycheck information, and general payroll information please visit the BSOE Academic Payroll webpage.

BSOE Academic Payroll Contacts>>
BSOE Academic Payroll Paycheck and Pay Dates >>


Graduate students may participate if eligible in campus child care programs, if any, including subsidies and other financial assistance. Information regarding available campus child care programs can be found at the UCSC Childcare website.



Students employed with eligible ASE or GSR appointments are entitled to participate in the UC Dependent Care Reimbursement Flexible Spending Account Program (DEPCare).



Each eligible ASE or GSR may be reimbursed up to $900 per quarter under this program for qualified child care expenses incurred during the appointment period in any quarter of the year, including summer.

University fellowships and funds are awarded on the basis of merit and promise of productive scholarship. Types of awards and funding sources include centrally administered fellowships and departmental block grants. Fellowship funds can provide for any of the following: payment of fees and/or nonresident tuition or provision of a living stipend. A fellowship is any payment to a student that is not salary or direct reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses such as travel costs. University fellowships are normally processed and disbursed by the Graduate Division.

Students must be registered in the appropriate quarter to receive any financial support funds from the Graduate Division or the department. New students may not receive any University funds until they are registered in courses and fall quarter begins.

External fellowship and funds are awarded on various criteria. Types of awards can be fellowship, scholarships, and grants. These awards can vary on what they provide for, examples being: tuition/fees, living expenses, travel, etc. Students are encouraged to apply for external fellowships and funds.



Baskin Engineering

UCSC Graduate Division

UCLA's graduate and postdoctoral funding search engine, with more than 500 private and publicly funded awards, fellowships and internships.

Online source for 1,000 federal grant and fellowship programs offering approximately $500 billion in annual awards.

Additional Resources for International Students

Scholarships & Financial Aid for Women


Domestic graduate students applying for aid through the financial aid office are eligible for Federal Direct Loans. To determine eligibility for a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan, a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, or a Graduate PLUS Loan, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA application can be submitted on-line at To guarantee an award before the fall bill due date, the FAFSA application must be submitted by the priority filing deadline of March 2nd and any additional requested documentation to the financial aid office by June 1st.

Graduate Division Financial Aid Information >>
Financial Aid and Scholarships Office >>


All academic student employees (TA, GSR, GSI, etc.) receive a W2 Wage and Tax Statement that reports their payroll system payments and withholding taxes for the tax year by the end of January of the following year. Visit the UCPath for more info regarding your W2s. If you are looking for historical W-2s you can find those on the At Your Service website. For help setting up your At Your Service account, you can contact BSOE Payroll.



Any portion of your fellowship that does not apply directly to your fees or tuition is considered taxable income and must be reported to the I.R.S. Currently the University does not withhold any taxes from your fellowship. However you still may have a tax liability on any portion of your fellowship that does not apply directly to your fees or tuition. Student Business Services is the office that contracts with the Tax Credit Reporting Service. This service sends out the 1098-T form at the end of January to the permanent address. 



All Foreign Nationals receiving tax reportable payments from the University must have a GLACIER record whether they are paid through Payroll or FAST/AP.

GLACIER provides the following benefits:

  • Provides foreign individuals with up-to-date information and support to assist them with complex tax matters
  • Reduces tax compliance burden on foreign individuals and University departments
  • Maintains compliance with current Federal Foreign National tax regulations

GLACIER Guide >>


1098-T FORM

The 1098-T (The IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement) is an annual IRS form completed by UCSC as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, which is furnished to students to assist the taxpayer in determining eligibility for an educational tax credit and/or deduction. The form summarizes qualified tuition and related expenses that were paid during the calendar/tax year as well as scholarships/grants/fellowships disbursed to the student account during that same year.  The 1098-T form is NOT a statement of income.  The Student Business Services office is responsible for the creation/presentation of these forms.  Please see for more detailed information and instructions for obtaining your form or email the office at



Students who need to know the amount of their taxable grants, fellowships and/or scholarships, should contact the Office of Financial Aid. FAO will help students complete the Financial Aid Worksheet for Taxable Income from Financial Aid.



Student loans are exempt from taxes.


Graduate Division Tax Information Section >>
Graduate Student Tax Seminar (Free)>>