New Graduate Students

Congratulations and welcome to the Jack Baskin School of Engineering at UC Santa Cruz!

Please take a few moments to review the information below about our programs and what you will need to do as a new graduate student.

BSOE Graduate Student Orientation Registration


The BSOE Graduate Student Orientation is Monday, September 24, 2018 (see below for you program time and location): 

Applied Mathematics

Time: 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Location: Simularium, E2 Room 180

Computational Media

Time: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Location: Engineering 2, Room 506

Computer Engineering

Time: 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Location: Baskin Auditorium, Room 101

Computer Science

Time: 9:30am - 12:00pm
Location: Baskin Auditorium, Room 101

Electrical Engineering

Time: 9:30am - 12:00pm
Location: Simularium, E2 Room 180

Scientific Computing & Applied Mathematics

Time: 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Location: Simularium, E2 Room 180


Time: 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Location: Simularium, E2 Room 180
Important Dates Upon Arrival

MANDATORY Visa Check-in for International Students is online.

MANDATORY International Graduate Student Orientation:
Tuesday ,September 25, 2018

Campus-Wide New Graduate Student Orientation:
Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Campus-Wide Teaching Assistant Orientation: Tuesday, September 25, 2018

TA/GSR Payroll Signups: TBD

Fall 2018 Classes Begin:  Thursday, September 27, 2018

Important Links

Academic and Administrative Calendar -
Important graduate student related dates and deadlines

BSOE Graduate Advising -
Baskin School of Engineering information, forms, resources, requirements, etc.

Graduate Division - Graduate Student Handbook and forms

MyUCSC - UCSC Student Portal

Student ID

How To Get An ID Card:

Photos for graduate Student ID cards will be taken at the ID Card Services Office next to the Baytree Bookstore. Please see Grad ID Card Photo Days for Fall 2018 for more information about dates and times.  If you are unable to have your ID card photo taken during the available times, you can have your photo taken after instruction begins. You will need to show some form of picture ID. A driver's license or passport will be acceptable.

For more information, call 831-459-2990 or e-mail

Your student ID is your bus pass.

PLEASE READ: After your picture is taken at ID card services, you must bring it to the SOE facilities office (in Baskin Engineering, Room 399C) for programming and activation between the hours of 1:00-3:00 pm.

If you need lab access you will need your sponsoring faculty or Instructional Lab Manager to send an e-mail in advance to facilities stating the reason why you need the card, what areas you need to access and an end date for access.

What You Can Do With Your ID Card:

Take the bus! – It is a Santa Cruz County Metro Bus Pass. A valid quarter sticker available each quarter from the SOE Graduate Advising Office (Oakes 221).

Go to the gym! – It is a Recreation Facilities Pass – with a valid quarter sticker.

Go to the library! – It is a Library Card – UPC code on the front of your ID card is your library check out number.

Eat! – It is a Food Service/Flexi-Dollar Card – Cafeteria food plans and declining balance Flexi card plans. Flexi Dollar Info.

Get into the building! - Your ID is also your access card into Baskin Engineering and Engineering 2.


Computing Support & SOE Account (REQUIRED)

To apply for your required SOE account (this account will grant you access to various SOE computers/programs/software/etc.), go to new-accounts and follow the instructions.  Indicate Theo-Alyce Gordon (BMEB, CMPM, & GPM), Emily Gregg (CMPE & TIM), Alicia Haley (CMPS), or Lisa Slater (AM, STAT, & EE), as your sponsor.  Your account should be activated within three days.

All e-mail correspondence generated from UCSC and the School of Engineering will be directed to your e-mail account. PLEASE CHECK IT REGULARLY!

UCSC And BSOE Computer Usage Policies: All BSOE computer users need to be familiar with the computer usage policies of UCSC and BSOE. Failure to follow policies can result in termination of computing access, financial penalties and in some extreme cases dismissal from the University. Ignorance or failure to understand usage policies may not be accepted as an excuse. Please ensure you read, understand and follow the policies listed. If you do not understand the policies, please contact the BSOE help desk for direction to someone that may assist.

Computing support/help can be accessed through IT Request:


Access to Buildings

Once you obtain your UCSC student ID card you will need to take it to the Engineering Facilities Office (BE-399C) to be authorized for building/lab access. Your ID card will give you access to the common grad areas (grad labs etc.) for Baskin Engineering and Engineering 2. Hours are 1:00PM to 3:00PM.

For access or codes to individual research labs your advisor must send an email to facilities.

Online registration can be done at the MyUCSC Student Portal. The first time you access this registration process you will be asked for your student ID number and password.

For help with your student ID and password or enrolling in a class, first check the enrollment FAQ's on the Registrar's website; call the enrollment Help Line at 831-459-4357; email, or go to their website MyUCSC Help.

Adding Classes: Enrollment will open on June 22, 2018 for new graduate students. For some graduate courses, a permission number is required (see below). You must be enrolled in at least five units by September 18, 2018 if you have any form of financial aid for the quarter. If you do not have financial aid, you must be enrolled in at least 5 units by October 5, 2018. A $50 late fee will be charged If you have not registered by that date. You can also check the Academic Calendar for more important dates. The most important thing to do is to talk to your faculty advisor. Together you and your faculty advisor should determine which courses would help you pursue your goals and what, if any, courses should be taken in preparation. In the summer it is easiest to reach the faculty via e-mail. If you are unsure of who your advisor will be, contact your appropriate departmental graduate advisor

Independent Studies: All students planning to enroll in an independent studies/thesis research course must submit a petition, signed by your faculty advisor, to the SOE Grad Advising Office in order to receive a call number by e-mail. Please see the detailed instructions at this page.

Permission Numbers: Permission numbers are required for all undergraduate courses and graduate level courses that have prerequisites. To obtain a permission code you must contact the instructor directly. Note - some instructors will provide permission numbers on the first day of instruction.

See the online schedule of classes reference for more information.

If you are a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) or a Teaching Assistant (TA), you must fill out important payroll paperwork from a Baskin School of Engineering Payroll Analyst. Please sign up online at your earliest convenience to meet with a BSoE payroll analyst.  Please review the list of acceptable documents that you must bring with you to your payroll sign-up appointment.  Note - we will not accept photocopies of these documents.  You must bring originals to your appointment.

If you are an international student you must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the payroll sign-up. However, you do not need to have your SSN prior to your appointment with the BSoE payroll analyst. This step can be completed after your initial sign-up.  SSN information below.

Paychecks are issued on the first of each month (following your start date).  It is highly recommended you enroll in direct deposit, otherwise you will pick up monthly paychecks from the BSoE Instructional Support Office (Engineering 2, Room 298).

For any payroll questions, please contact the Payroll Office.  Make sure you submit your full name and email address in any correspondence.


For general housing information, please see the Student Housing Services website. For off-campus housing we recommend that you begin your search early and that you apply for on-campus housing as soon as you find out that you have been accepted into the graduate program. Family student housing apartments are offered on a priority basis, with students with children receiving first priority. Here are a few numbers where you can find housing assistance:

Family Student Housing - Hagar Court Community Room 831-459-4080

Graduate Student Housing - 125 Hahn Student Services 831-459-5712

Community Rentals Office - 104 Hahn Student Services Building 831-459-4435

Bay Area Craigslist


Parking Permits & Transportation

More information regarding parking permits can be obtained from Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS). There are alternative transportation services listed below are also available:

Campus Shuttle

For more information regarding the Santa Cruz Metro buses visit Santa Cruz Metro/Transit Online or call 831-425-8600.

Establishing Residency

Domestic students from out-of-state must establish California residency at the end of the first year (or before fall quarter of the second year) in order to avoid out-of-state tuition assessment in subsequent years in the program.  If you do not establish your California residency, you will be responsible to pay the non-resident tuition if your funding source does not cover this.  It is your responsibility to establish your residency for tuition purposes! 

See the California Residency for Tuition Purposes guidelines for full details.


International Students

I-20/DS-2019 Request

Visa Check-in

Mandatory International Graduate Student Orientation

Welcome Guide

Graduate Preparation Program

In order to be a teaching assistant, international students whose first language is not English must demonstrate their skills in spoken English with a passing TOEFL score (minimum of 26 on the spoken portion) or enrollment in the Grad Prep course.
Please note: The Grad Prep course will be held from August 28 - September 19, 2018 and costs $850 per student. Housing, meals, transportation, and any additional living costs are not included in the price of the course and must be paid by the student. More information can be found on the Grad Prep program's page.

The Global Engagement Office (previously known as the International Education Office) serves as the international student advising center. Staff members provide visa/immigration counseling concerning required course loads, financial problems and employment, plus a variety of other services to help international visitors adjust to academia and life at Santa Cruz. 


Social Security Card

For more information on obtaining a social security card/number contact International Student and Scholars Services by calling 831-459-2858 or emailing