Please see the Google PhD Fellowship call for nominations (opening Sept. 1). Our internal deadline will be SEPTEMBER 15 to allow time for review.
The fellowship includes:
- Up to 3 year Fellowship
- Full tuition and fees (enrollment fees, health insurance, books) plus a stipend to be used for living expenses, travel and personal equipment
- Google Research Mentor
The fellowship is for the following CS and related areas:
- Algorithms, Optimizations and Markets
- Computational Neuroscience
- Health Research
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision
- Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum Computing
- Structured Data and Database Management
- Systems and Networking
Our school can submit up to 4 nominations, but 2 "must self-identify as a woman, Black / African descent, Hispanic / Latino / Latinx, Indigenous, and/or person with a disability". Please specify if the applicant is from one of the self-identifying groups.
For each student nomination, the university will be asked to submit the following material in a single PDF file and we would like this for review of our applicants.
- Cover sheet signed by the Department Chair confirming the student passes eligibility requirements. (See FAQ "What are the eligibility requirements for students?")
- Student CV with links to website and publications (if available)
- Short (1-page) CV of the student's primary advisor
- 2-3 letters of recommendation from those familiar with the nominee's work (at least one from the thesis advisor)
- Research / dissertation proposal including references (maximum 8 pages)
- Student essay response (350-word limit) to: Describe the desired impact your research will make on the field and society, and why this is important to you. Include any personal, educational and/or professional experiences that have motivated your research interests.
- Student essay response (350-word limit) to: Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time. (A leadership role can mean more than just a title. It can mean being a mentor to others, acting as the person in charge of a specific task, or taking the lead role in organizing an event or project. Think about what you accomplished and what you learned from the experience. What were your responsibilities? Did you lead a team? How did your experience change your perspective on leading others? Did you help to resolve an important dispute at your school, church, in your community or an organization? And your leadership role doesn’t necessarily have to be limited to school activities. For example, do you help out or take care of your family?)
- Transcripts of current and previous academic records
Please also include separately in the email a brief abstract (< 1000 words) summarizing the student's research.
Please contact your department's graduate program director or department chair if you are interested in being nominated.
Each department can submit up to 3 nominations for our review.