BSOE Graduate Student Newsletter
Global Grad Show - Applications Open
WRIT 203 - Fall Writing Course for Potential Graduate Student Instructors
Switchback Systems - Senior Research Associate/Research Associate
Switchback Systems - Senior Scientist (Chemistry)
Switchback Systems - Senior Scientist (Molecular Biology)
ClearView Healthcare Partners Full-Time Consultant Position
Now Hiring: Grad Student Positions
Please note the following upcoming university deadlines, and ALWAYS check the Academic and Administrative Calendar for important dates and deadlines. Bookmark this year's Academic and Administrative Calendar and refer to it regularly.
Wednesday, July 7th Deadline To Apply For Degree
If you plan to complete your MS or PhD this quarter (Summer 2021), the degree application needs to be submitted to BSOE Graduate Advising office. This is also the deadline to pay for filing fee, if applicable. More guidelines for graduating are available on the Graduate Advising website.
Friday, August 27th Leave of Absence Summer Deadline
Deadline to petition for leave of absence (LOA) beginning the next quarter. LOA forms must be approved/signed by your faculty advisor and submitted to the BSOE Graduate Advising office by the posted deadline. LOA application forms are available on the Graduate Division's website.
Applications are open to the 7th edition of Global Grad Show, the annual programme for university graduates creating solutions for social, environmental and development issues.
Whether it's high-tech or low-tech, university students from all disciplines creating solutions for a better world are encouraged to submit their projects - visit our applications portal here . It takes just a few minutes to apply and the programme is 100% free.
All proposals will have the opportunity to be selected for a digital exhibition of the 100 best innovations at the forefront of social impact, promoted across 1,000+ global media channels in 60 countries.
All applicants are eligible for a selection of projects joining our multi-phased entrepreneurship programme helping to build future startups, along with funding options.
The Writing Program is offering WRIT 203, Theories and Practices for Teaching Writing (#23569, WRIT 203-01 TuTh 1:30pm-3:05pm), in fall for interested graduate students who would like to learn more about writing pedagogy and/or to serve as future GSIs in the Writing Program.
As noted on the attached flyer, "Synchronous Remote Instruction or In-Person - we will decide as a class".
The completion of WRIT 203 is required of graduate students who wish to apply to teach WRIT 2 with the Writing Program during our annual spring recruitment.
Graduate students may direct questions about the course to Teaching Professor Amy Vidali (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Hello Current and Incoming Grads!
We hope you all had an enjoyable weekend! Here are the upcoming Summer Activity events for the week. These events are open to all graduates at UCSC but are hosted by graduates in the PBSE program. The purpose of these events is to have fun, meet other graduates and build community. Activities this year include the Arboretum, art nights, beginner mountain biking, coffee hour, happy hour, hiking, origami night, Surviving Graduate School 101, zumba and etc!!!! Please find the sign up sheet here and rsvp for activities of interest.
Sunday, August 1 @ 11:00 am Virtual Zumba with Francesca!
Wednesday, August 4 @ 11:00 am Campus Bouldering with Nicole!
Wednesday, August 4 @ 7:00 pm:Trivia Nights with Taylorlyn!
Friday, August 6 @ 6 pm Happy Hour with Shanna!
Juliana Nzongo and Nicholas Santiago
METX Doctoral Candidates
Event Location: Zoom
WORKING ON A DISSERTATION CHAPTER, ARTICLE, CONFERENCE PROPOSAL OR ANY OTHER PIECE OF WRITING? JOIN THE AAPI RESOURCE CENTER AND FELLOW AAPI-IDENTIFYING GRADUATE STUDENTS FOR A 2 HOUR CO-WRITING SESSION (BREAK NOT INCLUDED). TO BEGIN, WE WILL TAKE 5 MINUTES TO SET OUR GOALS. WE WILL WRITE IN 1 HOUR BLOCKS AND COME TOGETHER AT THE END TO REFLECT ON OUR WRITING EXPERIENCES.
WRITING WORKSHOPS WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAYS FROM 2:30-5:00 PM (PST)
Attendees Will Receive a $20 Target Gift Card For Each Session
Belden is the leading company providing industrial communication solutions, including switch, wireless LAN, cellular, security, etc. We are enhancing our solutions using artificial intelligence to make them “smart” and more reliable for better user experience. We are looking for data scientists, senior data scientists, and senior software or data engineers to join our analytic team. The skill set of positions are listed below.
Data Scientists or Senior Data Scientists:
- Master degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or equivalent degree. Ph.D is a plus.
- Strong theoretic background in machine learning, deep learning, data mining, graph mining, network science, graph convolutional networks (GCNs), and artificial intelligence (e.g., inference). Other knowledge (e.g., computer network protocols) is a plus.
- Strong hands-on skill in Python/Scalar. Very good in writing SQL queries.
- Experience on following:
- Popular frameworks/libraries (e.g., Hadoop/Spark, numpy, scipy, pandas, sklearn, tensorflow or similar, etc.)
- AWS ecosystems (including S3, Athena, Glue, Lambda, SageMaker, etc.) or similar stack
- Streaming platform (e.g., Kafka) is a plus.
- Good team player and willing to learn attitude.
- Senior data scientist with 5+ years of working experience or data scientist with 2+ years of experience (will consider Ph.D intern without enough working experience).
Senior Software or Data Engineers:
- Master degree in Computer Science, or equivalent degree.
- Strong theoretic background in real-time operating Systems, embedded systems, and computer network protocols. Other knowledge (e.g., cloud computing, distributed system) is a plus.
- Strong hands-on skill in C/C++/Java/Go.
- Experience on following:
- Embedded system
- Container (e.g., Dockers or Kubernetes)
- Streaming platform (e.g., Kafka) , and
- AWS ecosystems (including S3, Athena, Glue, Lambda, etc.) or similar stack is a plus
- Good team player and willing to learn attitude.
- Senior software or data engineers with 5+ years of working experience.
Please submit resume directly to Frank Howley at email@example.com
Please see the link for more information: Switchback_Systems_JD_RA_SRA_Biology.pdf
Please see link for more information: Switchback_Systems_Senior_Scientist_Chemistry_JD.pdf
Please see link for more information: Switchback_Systems_Senior_Scientist_MolBiol_JD.pdf
ClearView Healthcare Partners is a premier life science consulting firm with offices in Boston, New York City and San Francisco serving clients in the biopharmaceutical, medical device, and diagnostics spaces. We provide world-class strategic decision-making support across a wide range of business issues. Our goal is to inform actionable recommendations that allow companies to achieve their business objectives.
We are currently recruiting PhD, post-docs and MD's who are looking to start their professional careers in 2022 for our Entry Level Consultant position. As a consultant at ClearView you will interact with both clients and teams within ClearView to address critical strategic questions within the biopharmaceutical space. During the course of a typical project, you will engage in a number of activities, including:
· Conduct complex problem-solving through a hypothesis-based approach
· Complete primary and secondary research to drive to critical insights
· Create and utilize analytic tools (e.g., forecast models) to support key decision-making
· Communicate recommendations to clients to inform strategy and maximize value
For more information see here: ClearView_Healthcare_Partners_Flyer.pdf
The Division of Student Affairs and Success is now hiring graduate students for its Mentor Collective Program.
See the attached flyer for more information: Grad_Position_Recruitment_Flyer.pdf