BSOE Graduate Student Newsletter
Fall 2021 University Deadlines
UC Center Sacramento 2021-2022 STEM Solutions in Public Policy Award Competition
Cadence Diversity in Technology Scholarship Programs
University of California - President's Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
Wells Fargo Campus Analytics Challenge
The Rockefeller University - Fellow Position
We want to let you know that the Designated Emphasis in Data Science is now accepting applications from eligible Ph.D. students. More information about the program is available here:
PLEASE NOTE that interested applicants should use the Application Form linked below to apply, as well as the DS DE Faculty Advisor Form linked below:
Application form (google form): https://bit.ly/dsde-application
DS DE Faculty Advisor Form (pdf): https://bit.ly/dsde2020
As the two forms above explicitly highlight, prospective students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of univariate calculus, linear algebra, basic programming, and introductory statistics. At the discretion of the DE executive committee, students who do not satisfy these basic requirements might be asked to take appropriate courses, either on campus or from online platforms, before being accepted into the DE DS. In addition, Ph.D. students applying to the program must identify one program faculty sponsor who has accepted to serve in their qualifying exam and dissertation committees. To encourage interdisciplinarity, the faculty sponsor must not be a member of the department hosting their main graduate degree.
Students admitted into the program will receive priority for enrollment in the courses required to complete it, many of which are currently oversubscribed. During the first three years, we will limit admissions to no more than 20 students each year, which is in line with the resources committed to the program at this time. If we receive more than 20 qualified applications in a single year, the Executive Committee will attempt to select a class that is representative of the diversity of disciplines in the applicant pool.
While the 2 forms linked above are open throughout the year, the Executive committee will review applications only once per quarter during this year. If an application is rejected, the student will have to reapply to be reconsidered for admission to the DS DE.
THE CURRENT DEADLINE for the first round of applications is Wednesday, September 28, 2021, 11:59 pm.
Please note the following upcoming university deadlines, and ALWAYS check the Academic and Administrative Calendar for important dates and deadlines. Bookmark this year's Academic and Administrative Calendar and refer to it regularly.
Thursday, September 30th Deadline To Apply For Degree
If you plan to complete your MS or PhD this quarter (Fall 2021), the degree application needs to be submitted to BSOE Graduate Advising office. This is also the deadline to pay for filing fee, if applicable. More guidelines for graduating are available on the Graduate Advising website.
Friday, October 1st Graduate Student Enrollment & Fee Payment
If you have not paid your registration fees or enrolled in the minimum number of courses by this date, you will be charged a $50 late fee. Please keep in mind that pending aid (Fellowship, GSR, TA) will not credit your account until you are enrolled in at least 5 units.
Friday, October 1st Graduate Student Part-Time Status
This is the deadline to apply for reduced course load and fees. Part-time status forms must be approved/signed by your faculty advisor and submitted to the BSOE Graduate Advising office by the posted deadline. Part-time application forms are available on the Graduate Division's website.
Wednesday, October 13th Deadline to Add/Drop/Swap Courses
This is your last day to add, drop and swap courses. You will not be able to drop or withdraw from courses after this deadline has passed. If you are enrolled in a placeholder class, you MUST drop it by this deadline. More information on how to add, drop, and swap classes is available on the registrar website.
Sunday, November 28th Grade Option
This is your last day to change your grading option for any courses you are enrolled in.
IMPORTANT: The system defaults to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading. Instructions for how to change your grading option to letter grades (ABC) can be found here.
Sunday, November 28th Late Add with Fee Deadline
Friday, December 10th Leave of Absence Fall Deadline
Deadline to petition for leave of absence (LOA) beginning the next quarter. LOA forms must be approved/signed by your faculty advisor and submitted to the BSOE Graduate Advising office by the posted deadline. LOA application forms are available on the Graduate Division's website.
UC Center Sacramento is pleased to announce the 2021-2022 STEM Solutions in Public Policy Award.
This award will recognize one or more outstanding proposals for new California legislation from UC STEM graduate students. The winner(s) will receive $1,000 for research support and -- should their bill advance through the legislative process –travel expenses covering a trip to Sacramento to convene with Legislators and/or legislative staff.
Submissions will be accepted until midnight Pacific time on October 22nd, 2021 and applicants will be notified of their status in December 2021. Further information is available at UCCS STEM Solutions or on the UCCS website (uccs.ucdavis.edu).
We are excited to announce the opening of several Cadence scholarship applications for the 2021-2022 academic year. In addition to our annual Cadence Women in Technology Scholarship, we are offering a Black Students in Technology Scholarship and a Latinx Students in Technology Scholarship. As part of our mission to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion, we're offering a $5,000 scholarship to students in each of these groups currently pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, or a closely related technical field.
Students should review each scholarship page for requirements and eligibility before submitting an application online by Monday, October 11, 2021! Recipients will be selected based on their academic merits, letters of recommendation, and passion for supporting diversity in technology. Students can email the contacts listed on the page with any questions.
More information at the links below:
- Women in Technology Scholarship
- Black Students in Technology Scholarship
- Latinx Students in Technology Scholarship
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
THE PROGRAM. The University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program was established in 1984 to encourage outstanding women and minority Ph.D. recipients to pursue academic careers at the University of California. The current program oﬀers postdoctoral research fellowships and faculty mentoring to outstanding scholars in all fields whose research, teaching, and service will contribute to the diversity and equal opportunity at the University of California. The contributions to diversity may include public service towards increasing equitable access in fields where women and minorities are underrepresented. In some fields, the contributions may include research focusing on underserved populations or understanding inequalities related to race, gender, disability or LGBT. The program is seeking applicants with the potential to bring to their academic and research careers the critical perspective that comes from their non-traditional educational background or understanding of the experiences of members of groups historically underrepresented in higher education in the United States.
AWARDS AND APPOINTMENTS. Fellowships are awarded for research conducted at any one of the University of California’s ten campuses. The award includes a salary starting at approximately $54,540 depending on ﬁeld and experience, beneﬁts including health insurance and paid vacation/sick leave, and up to $5,000 for research-related and program travel expenses. Each award is for a minimum of 12-months and may be renewable for an additional term upon demonstration of academic/research productivity.
ELIGIBILITY. Applicants must receive a Ph.D. or terminal degree from an accredited university before the start of their fellowship. Successful applicants must present documents demonstrating that they are legally authorized to work in the United States. Individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION. Apply online at: ppfp.ucop.edu
DEADLINE: November 1, 2021
President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
University of California
visit online: ppfp.ucop.edu/info/
Partner Programs with University of Arizona, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Colorado, Boulder, Georgia Tech, University of Maryland, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, New York University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Penn State, UC Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs, and the UC-affiliated National Labs. Please visit: https://ppfp.ucop.edu/info/
Students can compete individually (preferred) or submit as a team for a chance to win a significant cash prize as well as develop skills around a real-world application.
Link to challenge - https://www.mindsumo.com/
The deadline to submit will be October 13th at 12:00pm EST. This challenge will likely be best suited for those pursuing degrees in computer science, information science, data analytics, mathematics, or engineering. The challenge is open to undergrads, masters, and Ph.D. programs.
Please note: To be eligible to receive any prize, potential winners must have a valid U.S. tax identification number and meet all the eligibility requirements at the time the prize is awarded.
Feel free to reach out to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
The Center for Studies in Physics and Biology, at The Rockefeller University, expects to have a small number of postdoctoral fellowships available for appointments in September 2022. We are seeking theoretical physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists with a demonstrable interest in the interface between their discipline and biology. The Fellows are to be at that stage of career as to function as independent members of the Center, free to work alone or in collaboration with any members of The Rockefeller University faculty.
Event Location: Zoom/Fireside Lounge
Grad Students welcome to UCSC!
UCSC's Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) will be offering an in
person/virtual event for Grad Students on October 1st at the Fireside
Lounge from 1:00P-2:00P.
We will cover all of TAPS' extensive transportation services to give
students and employees options on how they travel to and around campus.
Did you know...
- TAPS has frequent bike helmet and light distributions and bike safety
clinics for all bicycling Slugs? All for free?
- TAPS has a vanpool program with subsidized monthly fees with vans
coming in from South County, Monterey, Salinas, and San Jose?
- TAPS in partnership with Cruz511 promotes carpools, vanpools, bike
pools, buses and telecommuting with incentives and prizes?
- TAPS has a new newsletter giving tips and information on how to
sustainably travel to campus?
And there is so much more, like interest-free bike loans, carpool parking,
and individual parking options.
We look forward to meeting you and providing you answers to create
fantastic, stress free, economic, and enjoyable commute solutions. If
unable to join us in person, please join us on zoom.
Walmart is looking for senior data scientists to join their team at their Sunnyvale offices. Find details about the position and fill out the application here.
While the position says data scientist, they will also accept applicants for a senior engineer position with the appropriate CS/math background.
Please see links below for more information:
PhD University Grad Systems/Infrastructure Engineer (USA) - graduating Dec 2021 - Spring 2022Pinterest Labs Research Intern (USA) graduation starting Dec 2022
Spirent Positioning Technology designs, manufactures, and supplies advanced satellite navigation test and simulation systems, many of which comprise radio frequency signal generators and computer systems running complex application software; all designed in-house. These systems are sold all over the world to high-profile organizations and inevitably there are occasional problems experienced by the users such as component failures, software bugs, documentation issues, or the customer may simply need guidance and advice.
You will join a team of global support engineers, dedicated to fulfilling the varied and challenging post-sales technical support requirements of our international customers. In this role, you will work as part of a global support team to provide customers and end-users in the Americas commercial market space with the product and technical support. The role will be primarily working from home with occasional visits to Spirent's San Jose, CA office location and customer site locations, particularly in the San Francisco Bay area, with some other domestic and local travel.
Why Spirent... Because together we can shape tomorrow
Spirent offers unique career opportunities where you can set your innovative spirit free. Spirent is its people and when you join Spirent, you will work alongside some of the best subject matter experts in the industry. Success is important to us and so is having a work/life balance. We believe that you should be able to pursue your career aspirations in an innovative and creative environment, as well as explore your personal passions.
· Respond to incoming Service Requests from customers, sales engineers, and sales team via online networks, email, and telephone.
· Analyze reported problems, replicating and demonstrating them if needed using appropriate dedicated support equipment.
· Suggest, prepare, and deliver solutions to customers for both hardware and software problems.
· Occasional visits to customer premises to troubleshoot and diagnose issues, as well as provide advice and guidance for post-sales technical support and questions.
· Liaise with UK-based engineers to analyze and resolve complex customer issues in software and/or hardware, recording, and documenting resolutions.
· Compile and maintain records of customer issues, product defects, etc., using internal tools (Salesforce).
· Assist Professional Services (PS) team with the delivery of PS engagements if required.
· Provide level 1 hardware repair and calibration services for positioning, navigation, and timing customers in the Americas region.
· Assist in the distribution of software and hardware upgrades to customers.
· Perform calibrations/integrations at customer sites on key product range when required.
· Provide feedback to product management and development teams on customer use cases.
· Generate special test scenarios from customer requests.
· Maintain literature available through the support website.
· Produce technical documents/knowledge base articles.
· Provide customer training on Spirent products either remotely via meeting platforms, or at customers' sites, as required.
· Bachelor's degree in a technical/engineering discipline or equivalent work experience.
· Desirable, but not required for graduate students: 5 years of related work experience in a high technology organization with some customer-facing, post-sales technical support experience.
· Effective communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
· Direct and recent experience using standard RF and other test equipment such as power meters, spectrum analyzers, frequency counters, and oscilloscopes.
· Problem-solving abilities.
· Flexible and dedicated approach.
· Ability to work and lead autonomously, exercising sound judgment in selecting methods and techniques, to reach desired outcomes.
· Must be able to effectively manage multiple priorities.
· Willingness to travel within the Americas region and occasionally further afield, for around 15-20% of the time.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical manuals and drawings, national and international standards (such as Interface Control Documents (ICDs), general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or regulations.
· Ability to write reports and business correspondence, effectively present information, and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the employees of the company.
· Knowledge of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) position, navigation, and timing concepts, including constellations and segments, navigation data, orbital parameters of space vehicles, and GNSS reception challenges are highly desired.
· Experience with Precision Time Protocol (PTP) testing and assurance is a plus.
· Experience with tools such as Salesforce, Jira, and Agile is recommended.
Link to LinkedIn add: https://www.linkedin.com/
jobs/search/?currentJobId= 2674769442&f_C=4692&geoId= 92000000
The Computer Science Department at the San Diego State University is hiring a tenure-track assistant professor starting in Fall 2022. Strong candidates in all fields of computer science will be considered, with a particular emphasis on software engineering. A long version of our advertisement can be found at https://engineering.
Applicants need to apply via https://apply.interfolio.com/