The application period for the Graduate Student Communication Certification Program is open!
Every fall quarter, the Graduate Division offers graduate students a Professional Communication Certificate Program consisting of a sequence of classes on how to communicate effectively in one’s academic discipline and profession, use technology tools to enhance communication, improve job prospects, and build a professional network. Certification of completion of the program will be provided by the Graduate Division. Certification is awarded to those who miss no more than two presentations. If a graduate student member of the certificate program cohort must miss a Friday meeting of the program but is able to attend the separate standalone presentation of the class or classes missed, either in person at the Graduate Student Commons or via Zoom, then that makeup attendance will count toward earning the certificate.
The program takes place every Friday of the fall quarter, 1:00–4:30 p.m. Pacific Time, in person in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building (corner of McLaughlin and Hagar) except November 3, when it will meet in Kerr Hall, Room 61 (basement level), and via Zoom.
Deadline to Register: September 28
First Meeting: September 29
Schedule of Classes in the Communication Certificate Program:
- Principles of Conduct, Introductions, Syllabus and Desired Outcomes, LinkedIn and Networking, Slide Design
- Informational Interview and Proactive Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Curating Your Digital Reputation and Mastodon, Threads, X: Promote Your Research on Text-Based Social Media Platforms
- Teaching Statement and Portfolio and Demonstrating Success: Creating an Equitable, Accessible, and Inclusive Academic Environment
- Conflict Resolution and Speaking Up to Bias
- Psychology of Writing and Academic Publishing, Copyright, Open Access
- WordPress Website Design and Listening, Mentoring, Coaching, Advising
- Public Speaking
- Resume and CV, Interviewing and Negotiating the Job Offer
- Final Presentations, Certificates Awarded